Monday, July 28, 2008

Moving Along

I can't believe it's been over 2 months since I posted. I have to admit, I think about it, but not much was happening while parked at Gary's sisters home, and I didn't think everyone wanted to hear over and over about what Gary did in the barn that day. We had originally planned to spend some time in Michigan, but we always have to say God willing. We had to replace the rubber roof on the RV and that is very costly. So needless to say, it was unexpected and put a crimp in the finances. We were praying about what to do. We decided to call to a place in Kentucky where our son-in-law was the associate director for 3 years and we had talked about volunteering there. When I got out my phone to call someone, I noticed a voicemail I hadn't seen before. Upon listening, it was the place in Kentucky calling and saying they really needed volunteers to come and would we be interested. The wonderful thing about it was the voice mail was 2 weeks old!! God saw our need before we did and supplied for us. So we have been here going on 3 weeks now. We started out working in the dinning hall. Cleaning tables, setting up tables for meals with ketchup, syrup, or whatever is needed for that meal, vacuuming,etc. It is really easy work for a place to park, 3 meals a day, laundry facilities, and good fellowship. When we arrived, there were several other volunteers. We had a wonderful time playing dominoes and just yakking. 2 of the ladies were always crocheting when not working and one day we had a chat and crochet time. I hadn't crocheted for awhile, and now I'm a whirlwind. The other day I made 4 items in about 8 hours, in between shifts. As of Saturday past, all the other volunteers left and its just Gary and I still here in our RV. The volunteer coordinator is on vacation this week and gave us the keys to things in the dinning room. The head maintenance man and his wife had to leave this morning because her father is dying and Gary was told he would be doing maintenance detail this week. I'm off for 3 days and some local gals are coming in to do the volunteer work. Because I still get worn out , they have been soooo good to not overwork me. The place we are at is Cedarmore Conference Center. It is in Bagdad, Kentucky. About 25 miles away from most populated areas. As I stated before, our son-in-law was here for 3 years and we have visited many times. It sits on 700 acres. There are an abundance of deer and wild turkey here. In the fall, they would come up in our daughters back yard in groups of as many as 6-7.

Here in the summer, they have church camp and can have as many as 500 kids at one time. They also have groups like cancer kids, YMCA, adult retreats, etc.There is a lake with a blob in it. A climbing tower, a fishing lake, horses, bikes, and a mud pit. That was sooo much fun to watch the kids do. Our granddaughter got to come as a camper for the first time this year and it was a great time for her. In the past, because she lived here, she got to hang out a lot but couldn't participate in too many things. The first day here, she came and hugged grandpa and I. The second day we sought her out and hugged her. The third day she waved at us and the last day, well I think she forgot we were here!!! This weekend we will go to our daughters' home and take care of our grandson for 3 days while they attend a wedding. My son-in-law will officiate the ceremony, our daughter will do the photography, our 2 little granddaughters are in the wedding, and so we get to watch our grandson. It is also his birthday and so we will do something special with him.

We got to have this past Sat off so we took a trip to Shaker Village. I was going to post pics and write about it but as I was downloading the pics, the battery on my camera died, so I will do that at a later date.

We will remain here possibly until the end of October. We hope then to swing by Gary's brothers in Pennsylvania and visit my brother in the D.C. area. Then on to Florida and Lake Yale where we volunteered last winter. We have communicated with a few others who were there last winter at the same time and are so excited that we will be working with these wonderful people again. We have been asked to go to Jamaica for 4 months to do some missionary work at that same time period. We are praying about it. Well, hubby is sitting here with me and ready to head back to the RV for the evening. Oh, we can't get cell phone in the RV or computer hookup, except in the dinning hall, so our kids can't call and I can't hang out on my computer for hours. Actually, I'm glad because I'm doing other things and realize I was spending too much time on it anyway.

There are highs and lows of this lifestyle, but it is an adventure we're glad we embarked on. Until next time, God bless......

2 comments:

Randy and Terry said...

Glad to hear from you again!! I thought maybe you had gotten off the road or something. Good to know you're well and enjoying life.

Kari said...

time for an update, guys!