Saturday, February 9, 2008

Tender Caring

Today was one of our days off. Yesterday, we took a resident to Houston's Hobby Airport to pick up his daughter. His wife had passed away earlier this week and she was coming for the memorial service today. It was an interesting drive. Bob shared many of his RV experiences with us and we learned how he and his wife had met. These elderly people have so many rich experiences to share with us if we will just take the time to listen. When they are gone, something will be lost forever from their generation. They went from horse and buggys, no electricity, phones, tv's, pizza, women wearing skirts only, and many changes in history. Anyway, today at the memorial service, I cried. I didn't know the woman who passed. She was in her last stages when we arrived here and wasn't able to get out and about. Her husband read a letter he wrote to her about his thoughts towards her and about her life. And it was very tender. But what made me cry was another couple that was attending the memorial service. They are probably in their sixties. Been married around 40 years. 24 years or so ago she had a stroke. She can play cards, talk, walk and feed herself, but she is very childlike. He has remained faithful and caring for her all these years. And as we sat in the back of the room today, a movement caught our eyes. There they sat, and he was lovingly stroking her cheek. He became my second hero. When I was going through chemo, I heard stories of women who were going through cancer and their spouse left them. I don't understand. I can't imagine. I had the love of my best friend, my husband, my hero, help me everyday. Staying with me through each fusion treatment, which usually took 6-7 hours each time: putting up with my antsyness because of the steroids they put me on, seeing me have no energy for almost 5 months. Kissing my bald head and telling me I was beautiful. Treating me like a queen. I'm so grateful for my honey that God has blessed me with. And I'm so glad for Ellie who has her honey to take care of her all these years. These are the guys who should be getting Grammys and Emmys!! Here's to all you spouses who stick with it for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness or in health. May God bless you richly!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said and thanks for sharing your precious moments with us.

Gary&Sally said...

Thanks bonnie. And pass the blog along to others. Sally