Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Where have we been?

Well, my computer wouldn't connect for the last 3 days. So on Sunday I called my service and guess who I got? Someone from India!!!!! They couldn't find any record of me and said to call such-n-such a number. So I did and they didn't have anything on file . So I called the first number and they sent me to the same number I called before. Well, anyway, after several tries I got to the right place and got someone who speaks english. And he was really helpful. But after I did the download, it didn't work still. So I called back on Monday and we tried again. Still no connection. So today I spent 2 hours on the phone with a nice guy and we got 'er going! By the way, the other people who helped me were great also. The guy today thought the download was going to take an hour and took my number and was going to call back in 2 hours to see if things worked-however, it downloaded in 5 or so minutes and every thing worked. It is awful to be computerless for 3 days!!
Forgot to tell that last week we had to have the hot water heater replaced. It had been leaking and even though Gary is great at fixing things, this was one thing he couldn't fix. It started out that we thought it would cost around $675, than we found out because we have a Newmar, there are more bells and whistles and so it ended up costing a little over $1200, with tax and installation! Oh boy.
I have been trying to spend time talking to some of the residents here. There is so much interesting history that will be gone someday when this generation passes away. I've thought about writing a book as we travel and meet elderly people, but I'm will have to ponder it. Anyway, one lady had a dirt poor childhood during the depression. She started out as an office clerk , had various jobs, became a 6th/7th grade teacher, a college professor of Sociology and Anthropology and a Federal government sociologist. She has hiked, camped, traveled and has taught Elderhostels. She has also written some books and has 3 that are being edited now.
One gentleman I talked with today rode the rails from age 19-21. He related how important it was to find the right kind of terrain to land on when jumping from the train, but that it wasn't always possible to find the best spot and sometimes was a bit rough landing. He said he had a trade he learned in highschool, but would often go to work, look at the timeclock and say "The h---with this" and walk out and pursue his wanderlust. He had been to the pyramids, the great wall in China, Africa. He said there weren't too many places he hasn't been. I had to inquire of him if he was wealthy to have been able to travel so much. His reply-"Nope, just charged it!" So now I know the rest of the story.
Tonight when we were at the laundry mat, a lady came in to use WiFi. It wouldn't work, but we began to engage her in conversation and am I glad we did. She had so much to tell us about some of the places they had visited since embarking on their travels in September. I really enjoy how so many will share with you if you just draw them out. I don't think we will ever run out of things to see because so many are so willing to share their journey.
Tomorrow is our day off. I have to get my first bloodwork since being in remission. I must say that I didn't expect to have some anxiety about it, but I do. I suppose this is common to those who are in remission. Plus the fact that I learned of someone this week whose cancer has returned and so that probably fuels my fears. I don't want to always be wondering if it will return. Enough of that.
It was a beautiful day weather wise. We may just go out for breakfast tomorrow before the blood work and then go sit on the water at Lake Livingston. Be blessed today!!

2 comments:

Randy and Terry said...

Sally, I've prayed for you this morning, asking God to give you peace regarding your bloodwork. Thanks for your transparency and vulnerability. I'm sure others in your situation appreciate your candor. Take care.

Gary&Sally said...

Thank you so much randy and terry. I sure needed it today. I don't know the results yet, but since I haven't heard anything, I'll take that as good news! Sally